THE ORANGE SHOW MONUMENT
The Orange Show Monument is a folk-art environment - a monumental work of handmade architecture - located in Houston's East End. It was built single handedly from 1956 until its completion in 1979, by the late Jefferson Davis McKissack, a Houston postal worker.
The outdoor 3,000 square foot environment is maze-like in design and includes an oasis, a wishing well, a pond, a stage, a museum, a gift shop, and several upper decks. It is constructed of concrete, brick, steel and found objects including gears, tiles, wagon wheels, mannequins, tractor seats and statuettes. Each piece of the Orange Show Monument was hand-placed and hand-painted by McKissack.
Jeff McKissack's creation extols the virtues of his favorite fruit and encourages visitors of all ages to follow his theories relating health and longevity to good nutrition, hard work and eating oranges. The Orange Show is one of the most important folk art environments in the United States.
Visit The Orange Show
The Orange Show is currently closed for restoration, reopening March 14, 2020
From June 12, 2019 through September 1, 2019, The Orange Show will be open Wednesday through Sunday from 9am - 1pm. From September 7, 2019 through December 1, 2019, The Orange Show will be open Saturdays and Sundays from 11:30am-5pm.
The Orange Show is closed December through March 14, 2020 for restorations. From March 14 through May 24, 2020, The Orange Show will be open on Saturdays & Sundays from 12-5pm. The Orange Show is closed on most major holidays.
Admission to the monument is $5.00. Children under 12 are FREE. Group tours, field trips, concerts and some workshops have other fees
NOTE: The Orange Show is a No Open Carry site. Pursuant to Section 30.07 we reserve the right to ask you to leave should you openly carry a firearm onto the premises.
History of The Orange Show
Houston postman Jeff McKissack created The Orange Show in honor of his favorite fruit and illustrate his belief that longevity results from hard work and good nutrition. Working in isolation from 1956 until his death in 1980, McKissack used common building materials and found objects — bricks, tiles, fencing, farm implements — to transform an East End lot into an architectural maze of walkways, balconies, arenas and exhibits decorated with mosaics and brightly painted iron figures... read more on the History of The Orange Show Monument